Friday, June 13, 2008

Wouldn't it be Luverly, Bowen Therapy

This afternoon I shall be at Huron Country Playhouse singing along with The Rain in Spain and Wouldn't it be Lurverly. Yes, My Fair Lady. I am going with a friend to the matinée at 2:00 p.m. but we are leaving early, 10:30 in order to have a picnic lunch outside the theatre and maybe a wander around their store. Hopefully the weather is going to be kind to us. If you want to read more about it go here and listen to what they have to say too. Although I have seen My fair lady both on the stage and on the big screen, I find the Drayton Entertainment Group put on great productions throughout South Western Ontario so am looking forward to the afternoon. Huron Country Playhouse is roughly two hours from home, situated in Grand Bend, Ontario. I am scheduled to go to four more performances this summer, another one in Grand Bend, one in Drayton itself and two in St. Jacobs which is closer to home.

I am green with envy at the moment, Glenda Larke who is an author and blogger of Tropic Temper (see link this page) is in Lake Como, Italy and posting some wonderful pictures plus having the time of her life. I asked her to mention the food and she has done so. Wednesday I was eating fish, so, apparently was she.

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will know I have been raving, off and on, about the benefits of the Bowen Therapy which, locally, can be obtained at Let It Heal well, Matt being a stubborn person, didn't really believe me wholeheartedly despite seeing the difference between me walking with a cane and then not doing so. He has a back condition known as Fascet Syndrome which means that the spine is curved the wrong way at one spot. Lately, it has been giving him a lot of pain, so, I finally persuaded him to go to Let It Heal. He has had three treatments, the first session didn't do anything apparently, the second treatment he had one good day, the third treatment he notices he is improving daily and yesterday, went playing golf. It takes three treatments to really know if Bowen Therapy is helping you or not, so if you try it, don't just give up if it doesn't work straight away.

I just found this recipe on the Ontario Asparagus Growers' Marketing Board Page and thought it sounded really good. I will be trying it over the weekend. Of course if you are in the States, be careful about what kind of tomatoes you buy. Vine tomatoes appear to be the best for you. I am assuming canned tomatoes are OK but don't know. Such a shame to be forced to use them at this time of year when fresh tomatoes are available in some parts of the country.

Asparagus & Tomato Bake

1 to 1-1/2lb fresh Ontario asparagus
4 tbsp butter
5 medium fresh or drained canned tomatoes, diced
3 tbsp minced onion
3 tbsp chopped celery
2 tbsp fresh bread crumbs
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 tbsp minced fresh basil OR 1/2 - 1 tsp dried basil
1 to 3 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Melt butter in 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Trim and cut asparagus into 2-inch pieces; sprinkle over bottom of pan or leave spears whole and arrange in a single layer in pan. Top with tomatoes, onion, celery, bread crumbs and cheese. Season with basil and sugar (amount used will depend on acidity of tomatoes). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and bake 45 minutes at 350º F or until asparagus is tender. Transfer with slotted spoon to serving dish.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Have a great day. I know I will.

9 comments:

  1. well, if you speak about parmesan, i suppose i will be able to eat everething with such a cheese ^^ even green asparagus !

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we would eat even the parmesan, because we love asparagus - though it seldom comes cheap, here on the rock (wah!).

    As you asked about my books, Jo ... I write medieval fantasy, and they are (or were) available in Canada. The first one is out of print now, but you can probably pick up a used copy online somewhere. The three titles (in order) are: The Siege of Arrandin, The Treason of Dortrean, and The Fall of Lautun. Glenda has just been reading the first one and described it on her blog as 'creamy rich', which I hope was meant as a compliment ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well obviously, Hrugaar, you will have to visit me in Canada next year when asparagus season is in full swing. Thanks for the book info I will see what I can find.

    You say green asparagus, do you eat white Ginie? Oddly enough I have never tried the white. Always been too expensive.

    Where do you live in France?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's quite cheap in france, we like both green and white, but i prefer the white ones. And also people like it white with a lot of yarky industrial mayonnaise...

    hrugaar: are your books available in france ? ^^ i need some new things to read , want to get out of Tolkien for a while!



    >> here a link the most common way to eat the white in france , with a french dressing as you say (vinaigrette, as it's based on vinegar ): http://www.cuisine.berberber.com/recette-asperges-a-la-vinaigrette-679.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was originally taught to make vinaigrette by a Frenchwoman when I was a very young woman. It is, lets face it, good on anything. The quality of the olive oil is important of course. Maybe next time I see some white asparagus, I will let the moths fly free from my purse and buy some to try with a vinaigrette.

    Hrugaar's books are available from Amazon.uk, is there an Amazon branch in France?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, there is an amazon.fr ... and hey wow, all three of my books are listed on there, including used copies (livres d'occasion) of the first one! :) But they're still in English I'm afraid, ginie, they haven't been translated into French like glenda's books have.

    Don't think I've ever seen white asparagus, let alone tried eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. everyone for the white asparagus !
    is it so expansive ? can't believe it !

    forgot to say last post: i'm from Bordeaux in France, i'm posting few photos on my new blog ^^

    hrugaar : i feel so stupid but what is you author name ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginie, what is your blog address? I don't seem to have it.

    White asparagus is at least twice as expensive in the stores here. Tim Barrie doesn't grown it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gynie - sorry, only just saw your comment. You can look up the books by title on amazon.fr and it'll show you my author name there - or else check on glenda's blog (where it's currently mentioned on the left, near the top).

    ReplyDelete