Thursday, September 4, 2008

Car and Lunch

Matt has taken the car in this morning, ostensibly for service, but there is a knocking noise plus I think the brake liners need doing in the front. This makes me verrrrry nervous. We never seem to be able to take the car in for service without ending up spending a bunch of money. The joys of motoring I guess. Luckily the garage we are using is just down the road from us, so we don't have to go very far. So cross your fingers for us that by the time you read this, we aren't in the poor house. Matt's cousin confirmed she has printed off a Google map and will be here at 11 as scheduled. Lunch should all be ready by then. I haven't made my Caesar dressing yet but it doesn't take too long. I use one which is something of a cheat, but which I got from a friend some 25 years ago and which we very much like the taste of. I make my own croutons but oddly enough, I don't like croutons any more, I have no idea why. In a restaurant I usually get them to "hold" the croutons on my salad. I will be serving them separately for lunch. Making croutons is pretty easy by the way, just lightly toast some bread, then cut it into small cubes and fry them in olive oil in small batches until they are golden brown, two slices of bread at a time (too many and you will end up burning them) then dry on paper towel. You can then use straight away or freeze them. I usually make up a batch for freezing when I do make them. You can, of course, season them with garlic if you wish, I personally prefer them without the garlic. This is the recipe I use for Caesar Salad which I got from my friend Barbara who, sadly, is no longer with us. Quick and Easy Caesar Salad 1/3 c olive oil 1/3 c italian dressing 1 egg yolk 2 tsp lemon juice 6 dashes tabasco 2 tsp wine vinegar 4 tsp parmesan dash pepper & salt 2 crushed garlic cloves 1/2 tsp dry mustard 1 Tsp anchovy paste Mix all ingredients in a bowl - store in fridge if required. Tear up Romaine, add dressing, croutons and bacon bits. Toss and serve. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Why do cars have to cost so much to run and maintain? With so many of them about, you'd think it should bring the prices down a bit more. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its very true. At the moment with the increase in gas prices, cars aren't selling very well here anyway. The car companies are bending over backwards to get you to buy. I was wondering tonight what happens to all the "new" cars which don't get sold in the year of their issue. Presumably it should be possible to buy a brand new 2006 or 7 for a reduced price. If so, where are they?

    ReplyDelete