Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Warnings, Emeril, Gifts.

This morning on Good Morning America they mentioned an email which is currently circulating telling you not to buy gift cards from certain stores. Much to my surprise, when I opened up my emails, there it was. Apparently it is partly true - there are some stores which are in financial trouble, but not all the stores which are on the email list are unsound. It is true that Circuit City is already in bankruptcy although they say they are continuing in business. The recommendation was to buy sale products from them but not gift cards which might, or might not, be valid later on. There doesn't seem to be anything about it on the web site right now, but there should be later today or tomorrow. One comment about gift cards, there are something like 8 million cards which never get used every year. To me a gift card suggests you are not putting any thought into what that person would like. I believe a gift should be something you would love to have but would never buy for yourself. Of course as a couple getting older it becomes more difficult because you have probably given all the gifts, which are within your budget, to one another not to mention that one's budget has likely shrunk a little. They have had Emeril Lagasse (a very popular TV cook and restaurant owner) on Good Morning America for several shows giving recipes for must have Thanksgiving Dinner items. You can find his recipes here. Some of them appeal to us, others would be way too sweet for our pallets. It is a fact the Americans do love to eat such things. Today it was a recipe with sweet potatoes and marshmallows. I have eaten a dish like that, it did not appeal to me. I do like sweet food, but for dessert, not as a vegetable dish to go with turkey. That said, I sometimes eat cranberry with my turkey. A tip I read in World Wide Recipes yesterday, if you serve canned cranberry sauce, use a melon baller to make it look pretty in a dish and to disguise the can shape which is not attractive. I never really read this little book, Best Ever Christmas, which was sent to me years ago, and I am finding all kinds of delightful recipes which I think I will try. I love beetroot (known as beets here) and have just come across the following recipe which I shall be trying pretty soon. Beetroot and Ginger Relish Makes about 4 cups 6 medium beetroot (1 kg) 1 cup sugar 2 cups white wine vinegar 1 onion, chopped 1 green capsicum (bell pepper), chopped 2 green apples, peeled, chopped 2 tsp grated fresh ginger 1 tbs dry mustard. Place whole, unpeeled beets in a large pan, cover with water, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low, cook 45 minutes or until beetroot is tender, drain. Peel beets and cut into small cubes (1 cm). Combine sugar, vinegar, onion, capsicum, apple, ginger and mustard in large pan, bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cook uncovered for 15 minutes or until reduced by half. Add beets, cook 10 minutes. Spoon into hot, sterilised jars, seal while hot. Note: store relish in fridge for up to 1 month. Not suitable for freezing. Have a great day.

5 comments:

  1. i love to give gifts ^^
    i think i'm even more excited about someone oping a present i offered than receiving one. That sounds nice you gift definition, but i'd rather get some gifts cards than a gift i don't like ^^

    For me a gift is something which is a surprise and that lighten this childhood in the eyes. It is not useful and it must give some pleasure of course !

    hey Jo ! you are badly waiting for Christmas aren't you ?
    Some of my colleague did already their Christmas tree ! i can't believe it and some are beginning a depression time ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, a gift should definitely be a surprise, a pleasant one.

    Yes, I love Christmas although its not so much fun on our own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jo --

    One must watch out for the Web crooks, yes. It is such a pity that the crooks and the cheats get in everywhere. This makes me very reluctant to order on the Web these days.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing really crooked about the email Marilyn, it is just misleading. With the current financial situation it is probably wise not to buy gift cards at the moment in case the company collapses. I hear this morning that Woolworth's has collapsed in the UK and they have been going for centuries it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jo - Yes, Woolies has gone. Nothing lasts!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete