Saturday, January 24, 2009

Crime Story,

This morning I got caught up in a report written by Marilyn Tomlins of French Marilyn's Blog (see link this page) her article on the Austrian Ogre, click here is about an incest and rape case with a monster who kept his daughter imprisoned from the time she was 18 for 24 years. Do read it, a very interesting article, but a horrifying story. Lots of the blogs I follow had new posts today so this took me some time to catch up. The other day we picked up a new Food and Drink from the Liquor Board. I haven't had time to read it yet, but the cover picture really appealed to me so I looked up the recipe and am going to pass it on to you. Cider-Braised Ontario Pork Chops with Apples and Garlic Heritage breeds of pork, like Berkshire, reveal just how good pork can tast. The chops often have a good layer of fat: leave it on for cooking as it adds to their flavour. 4 Berkshire pork chops, (or whatever is available to you) cut 1 inch thick. Seas salt and freshly ground pepper 1 to 2 tbs lard or olive oil 1 head of garlic, broken into cloves but not peeled 1 cup hard dry cider 2 cooking apples, cored 12 fresh sage leaves Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Pat the chops dry and season. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat melt half the lard and then brown the chops, in batches, and add more lard if necessary, 2 or three minutes per side. While the chops are browning, place the garlic cloves in a small saucepan, pour in the cider and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 4 minutes. Cut each apple crosswise into 4 slices Place the apple slices in a baking dish and then place the browned chops on top. Remove the frying pan from the heat and pour in the garlic and cider, stirring to deglaze the pan. Pour this mixture over the chops; there should be just enough liquid to cover the bottom of the dish. Top the chops with the sage leaves and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the juices from the chops just run clear. Serve each chop with two apple slices, then spoon over the liquid with 3 sage leaves per chop and divide the garlic between the plates. To squeeze the garlic out of the skins, just press with your fork. Serves 4. Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Jo --

    Many say they do not like pork (this excludes those who are not allowed to eat it for religious reasons) but I like pork. There is a new thing here in Paris now in that butchers cut pork chops very thinly and they are really juicy.

    Thanks for mentioning my article, Jo. Much appreciated. Unfortunately there are such monsters among us. Life would be too rosy should this not be so. I have a feeling that his lawyer is going to plead "insanity" and there will then be no trial. I don't think he's mad: I think he's just very very bad - a perv, as they say.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I agree, I don't think he is mad either, but you are probably right he will get away with it pleading insanity.

    I love pork and I particularly like pork crackling (the roasted skin) but due to its high fat content, I don't buy pork that way any more.

    ReplyDelete