Monday, April 6, 2009

Weekend, Snow!!! Temporal Void

Unbelievable, its April and its spring and we have a totally white world outside our windows. I thought we had finished with the white stuff for this year, but apparently Mother Nature figures otherwise. It really is very unfair. I know most Canadians are fed up with the stuff, I certainly am and am looking forward to lots of sunshine. But not today, in fact by the look of the skies, we may be in for more snow. Ridiculous. Its not quite as bad as in this picture and the roads appear to be clear but....... I have just finished the latest Peter F. Hamilton book, The Temporal Void, silly me, I thought it was the last in the Void group and then discovered it is actually the Void Trilogy. I will have to wait til next year for the final book. Only trouble with that is Peter Hamilton writes such humungous books with so many stories happening, that trying to keep them straight for a whole year is almost impossible. How he manages to keep all the threads balanced in his books I shall never know. All his books are very much the same with a very wide spectrum of events and a whole universe to play with so take a lot of concentration to read. I have mentioned before, I can follow most of the science even if I don't understand the principles behind it. A lot of the principle characters are carried over from his previous pair of books even though they are 1,500 years apart. Yes I know, but that is part of the science, people can live that long by re-lifing all the way through. They store their brain memories and such periodically so that if anything does happen to them, they can be restored to life again very quickly. That stuff is quite simple science, its some of the other more complicated science I have trouble with. I didn't get to the Lindt chocolatiers after all. Pity. However, Matt did make the veal dish I posted on April 1. It was good and we would make it again, but we neither of us thought it was outstanding. Sunday night I made a shrimp gumbo as I had bought some fresh okra. Tonight, leftovers, which is good as we bowl today. No bowling Friday as its Good Friday. I would have thought that would be a good busness day for the bowling alley. A lot of families would come for an afternoon/evening of bowling. Saturday we have friends coming to dinner so I may cook the roast of lamb for Sunday. A friend sent me this recipe the other day and I thought it sounded amusing. So Saturday night I decided to make it. Just shows you, read the instructions. I figured it was a 5 minute cake therefore that meant 5 minutes in the microwave. So the first effort came out totally black and burned in the middle. I then tried it for 2 minutes and we ended up figuring 2 1/2 would be enough. I finally re-read the recipe and see they say 3 minutes. In my microwave I think that might be too long. I served it with a dollop of Double Devon English Cream, not bad at all considering how it was thrown together. 5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE 4 Tbs flour 4 Tbs sugar 2 Tbs cocoa 1 egg 3 Tbs milk 3 Tbs oil 3 Tbs chocolate chips (optional) a small splash of vanilla extract 1 large coffee mug 1 Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using)and vanilla extract, and mix again. Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using)and vanilla extract, and mix again. 2 Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). 3 The cake will rise over [above] the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! 4 THE MUG WILL BE HOT; USE MITTS FOR REMOVING FROM MICROWAVE 5 Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired. 6 EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous). And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night! Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. If ever a cake sounded like something to avoid, it's this one!

    Mug you said?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually wasn't bad, we quite enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete