Saturday, June 13, 2009

Yellow Lobster, Red Tailed Hawk, Lumosity

I meant to mention it yesterday, a story in the news about a rare yellow lobster although I have to say in the picture it doesn't look yellow to me, more like a red cooked lobster, but apparently it isn't. Those are both live lobsters he is holding and the one on the left is the normal colour of a live lobster. Read story here. It is a very rare genetic mutation, 1 in 30 million. The present owner says he is not going to cook it. Personally I would be quite content with the regular one, it looks a nice size to me. I'm off to Cape Cod *g*. In the article they mentioned that the yellow one would have trouble avoiding predators, bearing in mind its size, it didn't have much trouble until man came along. In our local paper yesterday, The Record, there was an article and picture about Red Tailed Hawks nesting on a church in Cambridge which is a nearby town. A very cramped spot with not much room. Click here to see the article, this is the picture which we thought was quite fantastic with the bird mantling over it's eggs to protect it's nest. I had, of course, to send this to my sinlaw Mike who paints all the bird pictures, see links this page. I have been doing my tests on Lumosity every day, I mentioned the site a couple of weeks ago, for improving brain functions. I am pleased to say I am improving although it doesn't give me any basis for comparison with others. Maybe that isn't considered important. The website is Lumosity.com and if you are at all worried about your mental health, I can recommend it. We enjoyed our Little Slippers last night and have some left for tonight's supper. Here's an asparagus soup recipe. If I were making this I would use butter not margarine, but it is, of course, your choice. There is also a recipe for asparagus soup on Tim Barrie's website (Canada's First Solar Farm). Asparagus Soup Cookbook Wizard Recipe Software Servings: 4 Ingredients: 1 pound asparagus 2 cups water 1 tablespoon margarine 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 cup water 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules 1 teaspoon curry powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon pepper 1 cup low-fat milk 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel Instructions: Cut tips from asparagus stalks; reserve. Cut stalks into 2-inch pieces. Heat 2 cups water and the asparagus stalks to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until tender; do not drain. Pour asparagus with water into blender. Cover and blend until smooth. Heat margarine in 3-quart saucepan until melted. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup water. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in asparagus mixture, bouillon granules, curry powder, salt, pepper and asparagus tips. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes. Stir in milk; heat just until hot. Sprinkle with lemon peel. Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

  1. It's great that these birds and other birds of prey are adapting to the urban environment. People who wouldn't go into the country to see them get a chance to admire them and see for themselves just how magnificent they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do see Red Tailed Hawks a lot here, but not in the towns so much. I would like to see an Osprey nesting in town too, now that would be really something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, Was doing an internet search on MicroKitchen Companion because we have upgraded our computer to Vista, and the program won't run.

    I saw your post on 7/28/08 and left a comment, but I'm not familiar with blog posts, so I thought I would leave a duplicate post here.

    How did you move your recipes to Living Cookbook program?

    Do you still like Living cookbook software?

    ReplyDelete
  4. elbanev, I replied to your first comment I hope you got the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks just like the normal kind of lobster, but vow so BIG! One will need a hammer to get to the juicy bits in the claws.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Except the red/yellow one has not been cooked - it is still alive like the other one in the picture.

    ReplyDelete