Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bolt and Tiger, Rusty Bucket, Dinner

What an astounding athlete Usain Bolt is. He has just shattered his own record in the 100 metre in Berlin yesterday. He really is a fantastic runner and we were majorly impressed with him at the Olympics. I'd love to have seen him yesterday. I did see Tiger Woods beaten by one stroke at the PGA championship yesterday by a South Korean, Y.E. Yang which was something of an upset for Tiger who actually didn't play very well all day. They say the Asians will be thrilled to bits to have their own golf hero. Tiger didn't look too happy at all but whether that was being beaten or because he didn't play well, I don't know. When Y.E. Yang got an eagle yesterday, he was so excited it was wonderful to see. I have commented previously on the taste in artwork exhibited by both Kitchener and Waterloo councils or whoever actually chose them. The latest one in Waterloo, which has been dubbed The Rusty Bucket, has now attracted the attention of vandals who have scrawled things all over it. I have never been able to take a picture of the Rusty Bucket myself so I scanned this one from the paper to show you what it looks like. This is art? One day I will get round to taking a picture of the one outside City Hall in Kitchener which has been dubbed The Dog Turd which, in my opinion, is exactly what it looks like. I cannot find a picture of it on the net, once again, I wonder why? Whilst double checking I came across a Lolcat picture which I enjoyed. I absolutely love Lolcats, Karen Miller often publishes them and some of them have me bent over double with laughter. There are lots more pictures on the Lolcats site of course. Some people have a wonderful sense of humour. Our dinner party went off well on Saturday, we did the London Broil and it was delicious. I made the Heirloom Tomato Tart for a starter, also collards in olive oil, garlic and wine vinegar to go with the meat. Matt roasted potatoes in the British way and somewhat overdid them. In my opinion they were delicious. Really crunchy. At least one of our guests had seconds so must have agreed. We finished off with frozen Vanilla yoghurt which had chocolate and caramel chips in it, served in chocolate cups with a garnish of kiwi fruit. I don't know if you saw the comment from our sinlaw on Saturday, he enjoyed London Broil when he visited us in the States and he is not normally a beef eater. I got the following recipe from an Eating Well newsletter promoting Dreamfields Pasta. I love pasta with a carbonara sauce so thought I would share this recipe with you. I don't remember if Dreamfields is available locally, probably not, I will just use my regular brand obviously. Linguine Carbonara By Chef Marilyn Harris Ingredients: 1 box Dreamfields Linguine (or Spaghetti) 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 6 strips good quality bacon, diced 4 large eggs, at room temperature 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste Directions: 1. Cook the linguine according to directions. 2. In a small skillet heat the olive oil and cook the bacon until crisp. 3. In a large metal bowl beat the eggs. Beat in the thyme and cheese. 4. When the pasta is done, drain and add immediately to the egg mixture. 5. Add the bacon-olive oil and toss well until the sauce thickens. 6. Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately in warm bowls. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. The cat's funny yes. But for cooking -- too hot, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Told you you should have a microwave, you can cook anything in it. Maybe a window air conditioner as well by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete