Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Comments and Greece. Shame on Us.

Having to check on my labels for my blogs, I have been discovering comments people have made to which I never replied. My apologies, I guess I wasn't as careful checking such things in the early days. I found one note from the son of people we met in Corfu many years ago and who had some interesting anecdotes to relate about my parents. Neither of us actually remember meeting one another although we remembered each other's parents. This contact came because I had mentioned Pamara, the last yacht my parent's owned and lived on and which, one year, they sailed through parts of Greece ending up in Corfu - I was with them a lot of the time - at Kouloura Bay in the North East, where these people lived and with whom my parents struck up a friendship. I clearly remember the bay as being a delightful spot and my contact's parents as very nice people. If you don't remember me talking about Pamara, here is a picture of her in Corfu and another of her to give you a better picture of the yacht itself. My parents lived on her for a number of years, first in the UK, then in Malta and finally in Alicante, Spain where they eventually sold her and 'came ashore'. I have no idea what became of her after that although I have a vague notion she was taken to the States. I don't see it happening some how, but I would love to visit Greece again it was a wonderful country and I really fell in love with both the country, the people and the history. Not to mention the wonderful scenery and the incredible ruins. I remembered that I had written a poem to Greece, I just found it and read it again, but wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the country. However, at the same time I found another poem I wrote about Pamara's Bell. Every ship has a bell and sometimes on a stormy night they ring all by themselves. Pamara's Bell The threnody of wind in the rigging The eerie clang of the bell This is a warning, you sailors, Sent on a night of hell. We died on a night like this, men Pounding a stormy shore. Hark to the bell we're ringing A warning to you, before.... you sail on a night like this, men When the sky and the sea are one. Our ghosts are trying to stop you Heed us or you'll be gone Down in our watery graves, men Our bones dance the rythm of storm But our spirits are watching o'er you Tolling in ghostly form. Beware!!! I must admit, I had forgotten this poem. I used to write a lot of poetry as a young woman, much of it full of angst, some of it just for fun, occasionally I would write poems on people's names or other kinds of names like one I wrote about a thatched cottage with the name Smuggler's Cottage. Maybe I will include that one day. Do read Tropic Temper (link this page) where Glenda Larke has a link to some very scary pictures of young Albatross who have consumed some of the garbage we humans accidentally (or purposely) throw away. One of the major points on these pictures, they are taken at a bird sanctuary which is 2,000 miles from human habitation. Check these pictures out if you dare. This is what the birds should look like, now go see the dreadful pictures caused by we unthinking humans. I bought a couple of small pumpkins yesterday for making soup, however, this morning I found this recipe from Recipezaar which I thought sounded interesting particularly if one is entertaining. Pumpkin Cheese Fondue Recipe #72105 This a a great Halloween treat,Thanksgiving Appetizer or just a nice way to spend a Autumn Day. And yes you can eat the pumpkin. Keep the fondue warm over as low heat as possible to avoid scorching the cheese. by ~Rita~ * 1 small pumpkin * 2 tablespoons butter, melted * 1 pinch nutmeg, for baking the pumpkin * 1 pinch cinnamon, for baking the pumpkin * 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil * 3 scallions, finely sliced * 2 cloves garlic, minced * 8 ounces emmenthaler cheese, grated * 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated * 1 cup sherry wine or dry white wine * 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed to a smoothpaste with some water * grated nutmeg * 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon * paprika 1. Cut a slice off the top of the pumpkin and scoop out seed. 2. Use to make Spicy Roasted Butternut (the butternut seeds can be replaced with the pumpkin) Seeds recipe #50958 or your favorite recipe. 3. Brush the inside of the pumpkin with melted butter season with nutmeg and cinnamon place on cookie sheet with tops on and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. 4. Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan saute scallions and garlic for 2 minutes add wine or sherry, and cornstarch paste heat and then add the cheeses to the simmering wine, stir in a zig zag rather than circular motion to help break up the cheese. 5. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon. 6. Heat gently stirring till melted and combined. If to thick can add some water or chicken broth to thin. 7. Pour into baked pumpkin sprinkle with paprika and serve with apple, pears, celery, peppers, cubes of crusty bread cooked shrimp, cooked chicken, and or cooked potato skins . 8. Instead of making the paste you can also dust the cheese cubes with the cornstarch then add to the warmed wine. Have a great day.

2 comments:

  1. Jo, what a beautiful poem! Oh, it is sad that one loses the umpf of one's teen years. Recipe looks good, but it is too complicated for the likes of me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci du compliment, Marilyn. True, I don't write poetry much any more.

    ReplyDelete