Friday, October 2, 2009

MacDaddy's, T & W, Noodle Salad Recipe,

Today, Sept. 15, we went to visit MacDaddy's which is managed by our friend's daughter. What a place. It is an entertainment complex where you can enjoy yourself by playing all kinds of games machines - I've never seen so many - but because of NC law, the prizes are tokens which you then hand in to a prize desk to claim something - no cash. I gathered our friends have tried out a lot of them. There are billiards tables, a lounge where you can sit and use the wifi for your laptop. It also contains a banquet room, meeting rooms and party rooms for kids and adults, entertainment and a kids restaurant, a sports bar and restaurant for adults, two bowling alleys, one large one for leagues and such, and one 8 lane for smaller groups or individuals. We checked in with the manager/daughter, met her husband and also Mac who is the owner of the place. Then had lunch. Matt and I were not very hungry so we both had a Caesar salad, I had shrimp with mine, Matt had chicken. It was very good. Then the manager sent over a dessert of brownies with ice cream, yummy. Our friends bought shoes and paid for a game and off we went to bowl. I am not used to the heavy 10-pin balls of course, so ended up ripping a thumb nail, no not sure how *g*, but then got the hang of it and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Having checked with our friends we played 2 more games. The alleys are absolutely wonderful, being brand new they are of course in pristine condition and everything works. They call the small alley 'boutique' bowling. Who would have thought I would enjoy 10-pin, I don't know that I was doing it very well, but I didn't score too badly. On the way home, needed some band aids as my thumb nail was still bleeding. Called in at the Walgreen's pharmacy and asked where they were. A bit later the assistant I had spoken to said "Are you Matt and Jo?". Turned out to be someone we hadn't seen in years. I didn't recognise her, but everyone says we don't change. Gave her our phone number. Unfortunately, we never did hear from her. One problem with not having an answering machine of any kind. The next day we headed for the beach. We went to Bogue Pier where parking is free at this time of year and it is easy to get down onto the sands. When we settled, there was no-one around. An hour later there were grizzling kids and youngsters with loud radios all close to us despite miles of empty beach. So we gave up. Matt did go for a swim but I didn't bother. We left the beach, went home for lunch, and then went over to Beaufort to sit on the Boardwalk. This is a delightful area which we have been visiting for many years. We had a beer at the Dock House which is just that. At the back of the building is where the harbour master has his office. I was joking with the barman I wanted some chips which they don't sell in packets there any more (didn't know that) so we got a tad confused and in the end he came out with the classic "I guess you're not from around here". He disappeared into the kitchen and came out with a basket of chips (crisps to the English) and said I had given him such a hard time he couldn't charge me for them. Fine by me!! Afterwards we walked the boardwalk and I saw a runabout the name of which made me laugh "But GOD.....". On the way home we dropped into KMart for a couple of things and bumped into our friend who works there - supposedly part time, but seems to me more like full time - lots of big hugs. I mentioned a seat belt clip I had heard about and he found me a packet with two in. Not easy to see in the picture, but it really works. I didn't have to move the belt from my neck or reposition it once - have worn it ever since with the same results. Leaving KMart we set off the buzzer at the door, turned out it was the blank DVDs I had bought, the assistant in Electronics had been too busy with a personal phone call to attend to me. Went to T and W Oyster Bar for supper. Matt agreed I could have crab legs. I say agreed, because anyone with me has to wait forever while I pick at each bit of the crab legs and it takes a long, long time. I enjoyed them; Matt had fried scallops and we figure he had about 2 dozen on his plate. I haven't had steamed oysters for a long time either so we decided we would come back for those another day. Once I wouldn't touch oysters, now I am an absolute gannet for them. The following recipe came from Mushrooms Canada yesterday and I thought it sounded delicious. I love rice noodles. Thai Noodle and Vegetable Salad A popular salad to serve as part of an Asian meal or an accompaniment to grilled fish or meat or serve for a lunch or light dinner. Ingredients 6 oz. rice stick noodles Dressing: 2 tbsp Each hoisin sauce and rice vinegar 2 tbsp Each sesame oil and soya sauce 2 tbsp lime juice 2 large cloves garlic, crushed 1 ½ tsp finely grated fresh gingerroot 8 oz. sliced fresh Mushrooms white or crimini) 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper 1 cup julienned snow peas 1 cup purchased pre- shredded carrot* 2 green onions, diagonally sliced 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves Method In a large bowl soak noodles in hot water for 20 minutes; drain and cook in boiling water for 2 minutes; drain well and place in large bowl. Meanwhile in a measuring cup or jar with lid combine hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soya sauce, lime juice, garlic and gingerroot; stir or shake to blend well. Pour half of the dressing over drained cooked noodles. Toss mushrooms, pepper, peas, carrot, onions and cilantro and remaining dressing with noodles. Serve at room temperature or chill until the next day. Garnish as desired when serving. *Substitute julienned carrot for pre shredded carrot. Variations: 1. Substitute 1 cup (250 mL) prepared Asian dressing and 2 tbsp (25 mL) lime juice and 2 tbsp (25 mL) soya sauce for the dressing above. 2. Substitute whole wheat linguine or fettuccine for rice stick noodles and cook according to package directions. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment