Saturday, December 5, 2009

Signature, Aurealis Awards, Roast Pork.

If you look at the bottom of this blog, I have added my signature, or at least, the nearest damn thing possible with a computer. Through Worldstart I found the link to My Live Signature click here where you can create your signature and save it to use wherever you wish. Of course I had to try it. Worldstart recommended using the Signature Wizard which is what I did and this resulting signature is certainly very similar to the one I would sign by hand. Once you have created it, you can use it for your blog of course also for emails and several other applications. Try it, its fun and free. Mind you if you wish to do things like animate it, that you have to pay for. Two author friends are excited this morning because they are shortlisted on the Aurealis Award list for 2009. One book I have read, The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke, it certainly deserves to win. The other, Witches Incorporated by Karen Miller (writing as K.E. Mills), I haven't yet read so can't say if it deserves to or not, however, I always enjoy her books and certainly liked the first book in this Rogue Agent series, so I wish both of them luck. These two authors write wonderful stories and if you like Fantasy fiction, I highly recommend them. I was certainly bowled over by Glenda's latest book and can't wait until I can get book two of the trilogy. They keep talking about snow in greater or lesser degrees, but we still haven't had any. I am not complaining mind you but it is pretty cold here now. Having ordered a largish lump of pork for Boxing Day I am now hoping it won't decide to really come down with the white stuff that day otherwise Matt and I will be stuffing ourselves on pork for days. Looking at that picture I can almost taste it. People don't seem to cook pork with the skin on here; I absolutely love the crispy crackling on the outside and get it so infrequently I over indulged last time and didn't feel too good afterwards. These little beef skewers are very popular. I remember Wolfgang Puck of Spago fame serving them as an appetizer at one of his superb Oscar Night feasts. I made his recipe and they were excellent. Now here is another which I found through an email from Cooking.com Saté Beef Sticks Source: Le Cordon Bleu Home Collection - Finger Foods Widely cooked throughout Southeast Asia, a saté consists of marinated meat, fish or poultry, threaded onto bamboo or wooden skewers, broiled or barbecued, and served with a sauce. INGREDIENTS 1/4 teaspoon ground aniseed 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 1 teaspoon ground turmeric 1 teaspoon ground coriander 1 shallot, chopped 1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, finely chopped 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped 1 tablespoon brown sugar 2 tablespoons peanut oil 1 teaspoon soy sauce 6 oz. beef tenderloin, cut into 20 thin strips For Sauce: 1 clove garlic 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter 3 tablespoons coconut milk A few drops of Tabasco, or to taste 2 teaspoons honey 2 teaspoons lemon juice 2 teaspoons light soy sauce DIRECTIONS Soak 20 short wooden skewers in water for 1 hour to prevent them burning under the broiler. To make the marinade, add the ground aniseed, cumin, turmeric and coriander to the shallot, garlic, ginger, lemon grass and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Mix well and add the oil and soy sauce. Thread a strip of beef onto each wooden skewer and place in a shallow dish. Thoroughly coat in the marinade and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. FOR SAUCE: Put the garlic into a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes, refresh under cold water, then drain and finely chop. Combine the garlic with the peanut butter, coconut milk and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, or until smooth and thick, then add the Tabasco, honey, lemon juice and soy sauce. Stir until the sauce is warm and thoroughly blended. If the mixture starts to separate, stir in 1-2 teaspoons water. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to use. Preheat a broiler or barbecue until hot. Cook the beef sate sticks for 1-2 minutes on each side, turning three or four times during the cooking. Once they are cooked, arrange on a plate and serve with the saté sauce. Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. The signature is great. I've seen them on blog posts but had no idea how to get one myself - will now try.

    I am also hoping for some snow - at least for some colder weather aa it is 13 degrees C today and Cmas cheer melts in such a high temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had another sprinkling of snow last night, but that will be gone pretty soon I expect.

    ReplyDelete