Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Groundhog Day, Oscar Day, More Movies,

Well Punxatawny Phil saw his shadow this morning - oh apparently Milltown Mil in New Jersey saw his too. That's a new Groundhog to me so NJ will get 6 more weeks of winter. Now I have seen the forecast from Wiarton Willie in Canada who also saw his shadow, so I guess that means 6 more weeks for us as well. They make quite a production of this forecasting with their groundhogs. I recently saw a movement about freeing the animals as they say it is cruel to keep them in captivity. I think these animals live pretty good lives from what I can tell. I have never actually heard what percentage of these forecasts are accurate. Its still a fun tradition anyway and no doubt something of a tourist attraction for the towns in question. This morning we also saw the Oscar nominations. I must confess that a number of the movies who's actors were nominated, or even the movies themselves, were totally unheard of in this household, not that I profess to be really up in the cinema world. I was pleased to see Meryl Streep was nominated once again, this time for her role in Julie and Julia, she has previously had 14 nominations with 4 wins. That's quite a record. She is, in my opinion, a brilliant actress. A cartoon, UP, seems to have gained quite a few nominations as well and Avatar was also up there in the Best Movie category with nine nominations. Precious seems to have done very well with several nominations including best actress for Gabourey Sidibe. If you want to see the full list, go to http://www.moviefone.com/oscars-academy-awards/nominee-winnerwinner The actual show for the Oscars is on March 7. This year they have nominated 10 movies for best film which is a new departure. I haven't seen any of these I'm afraid, I need to get out there and go to the theatre, unfortunately Matt doesn't like the cinema any more, he says they are always too loud. I agree, but it doesn't stop me going if I get the chance. A friend recently told me she doesn't mind going on her own, guess I had better get used to doing the same thing especially if I want to see Avatar which is a 3D movie - as yet we don't have a 3D TV although I have no doubt they are in the works. Abourey Sidibe turned up on Good Morning America today and was an absolute hoot. She would obviously be great in a comedy.

Talking of movies, we saw an excellent movie on TV the other night, Remember the Titans with Denzel Washington in the lead. It was about appointing a black football coach in a very white town full of racial tensions and hatreds and how the coach managed to turn the school, and then the town, around. I understand prejudice, but not how it can produce such extreme hatreds as are exhibited by some communities and people. It is very frightening. Last night we watched Dante's Peak which we had seen before, Pierce Brosnan was the lead. It is about a town at the bottom of what was supposed to be an extinct volcano. Lots of drama and nail biting going on. I enjoyed it again. The other night we caught Annie Get Your Gun which hasn't been seen in 30 years I believe. The music was good, but the action was pretty outdated and I didn't, personally, think much of Betty Hutton. I think she was maybe a bit too Hill Billy at the end, when she should have been somewhat smoothed out round the edges as it were.

I like Thai food, I like curry and I like mushrooms, so this has got to be a good combination for me. Fragrant Thai Curry and Mushroom Dinner 12 oz firm tofu, drained 375 g 2 tbsp vegetable oil 25 mL 1 medium onion, sliced 1 1 lb. sliced fresh Mushrooms 500 g (white, crimini or oyster) 1 can (454 mL) lite coconut milk 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth 175 mL 2-3 tsp Thai red or green curry paste 10-15 mL 2 tsp finely grated lime rind 10 mL 1 tbsp fish sauce 15 mL 2 cups halved green beans 500 mL 1/3 cup diced red pepper 75 mL 2 tsp sugar 10 mL 1/2 tsp lime juice 2 mL 2 green onions, thinly sliced 2 Fresh Thai basil leaves (optional) 2 cups hot cooked jasmine or white rice 500 mL Cut tofu into 3/4 “(2 cm) cubes. In large skillet or wok heat oil over medium- high heat, stir fry onion 1-2 minutes. Add tofu; stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add mushrooms and stir-fry 2-3 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, broth, curry paste, lime rind and fish sauce; bring to boil while stirring to blend well. Add green beans; reduce heat to medium and boil 5- 8 minutes or until beans are crisp-tender. Add red pepper; cook until sauce has thickened to desired consistency, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in lime juice and sugar. Serve over hot rice and garnish with green onion and basil or coriander. Makes 4 servings Tips: If fish sauce is not available add ½ tsp (2m L) salt. Substitute mango juice nectar for broth and omit sugar. Variations: 1. Add 4 oz (125 mL) peeled raw shrimp with the red pepper. 2. Substitute 12 oz (375 g) skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs for tofu. Nutritional Information (Per Serving): Calories: 408, Sodium: 978 mg, Protein: 13.8 g, Fat: 19.2 g, Carbohydrates: 51.6 g, Dietary Fibre: 5.5 g Vitamin C: 53%*, Vitamin B1: 15%, Vitamin B2: 23%, Niacin: 34%, Vitmin B6: 19%, Folate: 29%, Vitamin B12: 1%, Calcium: 21%, Magnesium: 33%, Iron: 26%, Zinc: 23% Want to see how easy it is to make this Fragrant Thai Curry & Mushroom Dinner? Watch the Video Now! http://mushrooms.ca/media/fragrant-thai-curry.aspx?utm_source=Mushrooms+Canada+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=7df9abdad5-RecipeoftheMonth_Feb2010&utm_medium=email Have a great day

2 comments:

  1. I've also not been keeping up with new films -- been too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well its something I have decided to remedy. I didn't mind going to movies on my own as a young woman, why should I worry today.

    ReplyDelete