Thursday, September 9, 2010

GSDs, School, 9/11, Dr. Oz

A friend sent the following link to a video on YouTube. We loved it and laughed out loud, I thought you might like it too. Of course Alsatians in the UK are German Shepherds here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f309fSTWYo4&feature=email Typical British humour too I think. GSDs have always been our favourites, we had three ourselves at one time in the UK.

Riddlesworth Funny how one’s memory works. This morning I was sorting out a couple of things to take on vacation and thinking about how many lunches before we go and I suddenly remembered when I was about 10 years old, at Riddlesworth Hall boarding school,  at the end of term we would all run around chanting “no more Latin, no more French, no  more sitting on the old school bench”. There were several other similar verses, but I am damned if I can remember them these days. I wonder if they still chant these verses. The school still exists (Princess Di went there) and I think they have a Facebook page too. I also believe they are co-ed these days which would have been very much frowned upon in my day.

More in the news about the Florida pastor who is planning to burn the Qur’an on 9/11. Apparently he has had lots of death threats, I am not surprised, I think what he is planning is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I wish there was some way to stop him because you know, those militants he is trying to impress, are going to retaliate, plus it is a hurtful insult to those Muslims who live peaceful lives and have nothing to do with militant Islam. Talk about holding a red rag to a bull. It really upsets me that he is doing this although it has been said freedom of speech and expression permits him to go ahead.

I am pleased to say my supplier got my Avon to me yesterday which eliminated a lot of my worries this week. I think I have got dyslexia I keep typing things backward !!!

For a recipe today, I went back to Dr. Oz’s web page and found one which appealed to me. There are a lot of recipes there which are healthy eating and recommended for general good living. Some of you may not be familiar with Dr. Memmet Oz, he is a heart surgeon who has turned television star hosting a health show and appearing as a guest on all kinds of programmes with health advice.

Tal Ronnen's Mediterranean Chickpea Wrap

Chef Tal Ronnen has served his delicious vegan meals to A-list, 1-name celebrities like Oprah and Ellen. Now you can also dine like a star by whipping up this sandwich, a great mash-up of strong ingredients--chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, cumin, onions, and lots of garlic.

Ingredients

Sea saltchickpea_wrap

2 tbsp olive oil

1 carrot, peeled and finely diced

1 onion, finely diced

1 banana pepper, seeded and finely diced

1 garlic clove, minced

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

1/8 tsp ground cayenne, or more to taste

Freshly ground black pepper

1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, with liquid

1 white potato, peeled and finely diced

5 whole oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped

4 pieces vegan naan bread or tortillas, heated or toasted

Directions

Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Sprinkle the bottom with a pinch of salt and heat for 1 minute. Add the oil and heat for 1 minute, being careful not to let it smoke. This will create a non-stick effect.

Add the carrot, onion, banana pepper, and garlic to the pan and sauté, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the vegetables are just beginning to soften. Add the cumin, red pepper, cayenne, and black pepper to taste and sauté for 1 minute.

Add the chickpeas and their liquid and 11/2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Add the potato and sun-dried tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Serve wrapped in the naan bread or tortillas.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. That pastor is causing a lot of problems. Unfortunately, religious fanaticism shows its ugly face in all religions. But this is the kind of man I can't stand.

    ReplyDelete