Saturday, September 25, 2010

Olive Garden

As the French would say, chacun a son gout, or each to his own taste. Yesterday I read some very unenthusiastic reviews of the Olive Garden, last night we went there with some friends and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and our food. All four of us had an excellent meal.

Olive Garden1

To start with, I had Mussels di Napoli: Mussels in the shell, simmered with wine, garlic-butter and onions. These were absolutely gorgeous and to my mind were like Moules Marinières that I used to get in Belgium many years ago. Not only are the mussels themselves delicious, but the soup is to die for as well.

mussels_napoli

I followed this with Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo: Grilled beef medallions drizzled with balsamic glaze, served over fettuccine tossed with spinach and gorgonzola-alfredo sauce. The beef was again delicious and very tender, cooked just as I like it, good and rare. The pasta was tasty, but way too much for me having also had a bowl of salad and one of the bread sticks. I liked the salad, it wasn’t over dressed which a lot places do and one could taste the ingredients. The bread sticks didn’t turn me on but our friends were woofing them down with gusto.steak_gorgonzola_alfredoMatt’s choice was Parmesan Crusted Bistecca: Grilled 8 oz center cut sirloin topped with parmesan-herb breading, baked golden brown. Served with garlic parmesan mashed potatoes and asparagus drizzled with balsamic glaze. He assured me he thoroughly enjoyed this and it too was cooked just right. He said the asparagus was a bit of a waste of time, not surprising after all the gorgeous asparagus we get in Canada.

parm_bistecca We followed this with desserts, much to my surprise Matt had one too. Knowing I am a chocoholic, he chose his on purpose. A Triple Chocolate Strata. Which he wouldn’t share.

chocolate_strata

I stuck to a Dolcini which was a small chocolate moose which again was delicious Piccoli Dolci "little dessert treats", layered with cake, mousse, pastry creams and berries. The chocolate one in the front is the one I had.

dolcini With the meal Matt and I had a very nice Zinfandel, full bodied red, although Matt only got one glass as he was driving. Before we went into the restaurant I had a giant Margarita too.

Our friends had Seafood Pasta for one and Lasagne and Minestrone, which should been served first but was brought at the same time, pity, that was the only really bad note about the whole meal. I really don’t know why the reviewer I read yesterday had such a bad meal. The service was excellent, our waitress, Theresa, was very good and fun to be served by. She and Matt were flirting so maybe she wasn’t so nice LOL. I certainly would recommend a visit there to anyone.

Today of course we are going out to lunch and as its our 38th anniversary, we will no doubt be somewhat celebratory, or not!!!! Sadly when we get home we have to pack and tomorrow head back to Canada.

Have a great weekend,

Jo_thumb[2]

2 comments: