Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lottery, Movie and Technology

Last Friday the Max Millions lottery was drawn with a major prize of $50 million. It was won by 19 people at work who had only recently started playing their game together. They ended up with $2,631,578.95 each. Not a bad little haul. Matt had a ticket and didn’t get a cent. Oh well. One thing I like about this particular lottery, as I said the major prize was $50 million but there were 18 $1 million prizes available too which is kind of what I have been saying for years. Instead of giving just one lump sum they needed to split it up, and that’s what they have done.

I have been trying out Netflix and last night I discovered an excellent movie called Sneakers. Everyone, but everyone was in it. Robert Redford was the main character, then there was Sidney Poitier, Ben Kingsley, Dan Akroyd, River Pheonix, and then right at the end, James Earl Jones. There were lots of other people but not names I was familiar with. It was made in 1992 and I thoroughly enjoyed it, exciting story, lots of action, right up my street.

When we went to our friend’s on Saturday I was introduced to an iPad which I had never actually seen before. Fascinating gadgets, we were looiPad2king at some of their pics on it and then I was shown that it would also access the internet so long as there was available Wifi. The next day I started wondering so I asked on Facebook how you typed on it. I am still getting answers, but apparently there is an app for typing on the screen. Another FB friend said he has a small wireless keyboard which I think would be more convenient for someone like me. Not only that I would think the screen would get filthy – especially for me as I have to use a lot of hand cream – I get my hands near water and they become totally dehydrated. I will have another look at them when I get down to the States again, but as I am sure Matt will point out, I may want one, but I don’t really need one.

Talking to our team captain at bowling yesterday, we were discussing the peanut butter balls that she made for Christmas which were delicious. I was hoping Matt wouldn’t want his share!!! I asked her if she had ever heard of Martha Washington Creams, she hadn’t and asked for the recipe. Not being a computer person, I will have to take it in for her next week. However, I thought I would share it with you, it is a very simple recipe which I got from a friend in the States – she used to make them every Christmas. I found lots more recipes on the internet which contained more ingredients, but I like these fine.

Martha Washington Creams

1 box confectioner's sugarMartha Washington Candy 1/2 lb Butter Medium Sweet chocolate

1. Mix butter and sugar to creamy consistency. Refrigerate. When firm, make into balls and dip in chocolate. Keep refrigerated.

2. If liked, you can use melted white chocolate to decorate.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. I think to play the lottery one must play big in order to win. Just playing a two-euro column won't make anyone a millionaire. It's like playing the slots: play big to win big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only takes one line to win Marilyn. Plus a large dose of luck of course.

    ReplyDelete