Friday, July 6, 2012

Duck Story, Higgs Bosun, Surgeon,

duckSenility is creeping in, I forgot to mention to you that our super told us about a duck that was nesting right in the front yard of our apartment building. I had a look and couldn’t see her,  but the super pointed her out, she is pretty well hidden. But what a very odd place to nest. I am told there is a pond about 5 minutes away, I didn’t know of it and I have no idea where, but its going to be a long walk for her and the ducklings across fairly busy roads. I just decided to use Google Maps and I cannot find a pond very close to us at all so I cannot imagine what she is going to do. Her feathers certainly looked a bit like the picture, but I really don’t know one duck from another. I don’t want to take a photograph as I figure it might disturb her.

There’s been a lot of excitement in scientific fields about the Higgs-Bosun particleHiggs Bosun which they think has been found. I hadn’t a clue what they were talking about, but I found this video in my How To Geek Newsletter yesterday and thought I would share it with you in case you are as confused as I am http://tinyurl.com/84jh86w. Doesn’t explain it all but it does make some of it a lot clearer. I particularly like the snow analogy. I thought about a snowball travelling along and picking up more snow as it went along.

For a number of years I have been telling myself I didn’t need another hip replacement, at least three years, but I finally gave in and asked my doc for a referral to the surgeon. I figured that would take a while, but got a call yesterday to go in and see the surgeon on Monday. That shook me. Maybe its because we are regular customers!!!! Problem is I am concerned about our vacation, I don’t remember what the recovery time is. Will have to see what he says.

I thought this looked like a refreshing Italian salad full of taste.

Shrimp Panzanella

From EatingWell: May/June 2010

This fresh-tasting panzanella (Italian bread-and-tomato salad) is made with shrimp, olives and plenty of herbs. You’ll need olives packed in flavorful brine to make the dressing. For convenience, buy shrimp already peeled and cooked. Shrimp PanzanellaSometimes the best-tasting precooked shrimp is sold frozen. Soak in cold water for 10 minutes to defrost. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.

6 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each

Ingredients
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
  • 4 cups 1/2-inch crusty multigrain bread cubes, preferably day-old
  • 1 pound coarsely chopped peeled cooked shrimp 
  • 4 large ripe but firm tomatoes, coarsely chopped
  • 2 large green, red and/or yellow bell peppers, diced
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1/4 cup sliced pitted Kalamata olives, plus 1/4 cup olive brine
  • 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 4 cups mixed salad greens
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Mash garlic into the oil with a fork to infuse it with flavor; discard the garlic. Stir bread cubes into the oil until lightly coated. Bake, stirring every 5 minutes, until very crisp, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
  3. Combine shrimp, tomatoes, bell peppers, parsley, chives, olives and olive brine, vinegar, thyme and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large bowl. Season with pepper. Let stand for at least 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
  4. Toss the croutons with the shrimp mixture and serve the salad over greens.

Have a great day

Jo

3 comments:

  1. The Higgs-Bosun particle is all over the Web today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I see that. Quite a big particle isn't it? I still haven't totally figured it out, but see there is a vid on The Blutonian Death Egg so I will check it out later.

      Delete
    2. I watched that vid and it basically showed how clueless most of us are about the Higgs Boson. If you couldn't open it Alex, you didn't miss anything. The video I found helped quite a bit.

      Delete