Saturday, January 26, 2013

Missing Blog, Bowling, PM, Privacy.

I know I started a blog, I had a recipe to share and everything, but it cyberspacehas just disappeared into cyberspace. You know, if one could access cyberspace there would be some fascinating stuff in there. If you were a sci fi writer, that could be a good theme for a story. Pity I can’t write, as in a story I mean, I can blether for ever on a blog, but I haven’t the dedication to write a story, be it short or long. Blether is a Scottish word by the way, I guess it translates as ramble on.

Being My_BallFriday yesterday, we went bowling. Matt had a couple of good games: the less said about my games, the better. I am seriously thinking of buying a 10 pin ball and rolling that down the alley, bet I would get a strike every time. Wouldn’t be legal of course, ah well!!! There is no rhyme of reason as to why one can bowl up a storm one minute, and bowl dismally the next. I certainly get lots of exercise my way, throwing three balls every time. People keep telling me I’m having fun too and that I am getting my money’s worth – LOL.

I see Ontario is getting a new premier, I am not, as I have frequently mentioned, political, but I did know who McGuinty was and now he’s leaving us. I wonder who we will get next. My father used to say the best form of government was a benevolent dictator, if you could find one. It would save a lot of hassle and a lot of money in election costs.

Whilst writing I was also thinking about the problems going on at the Privacymoment with a girl who gave intimate photos to a boyfriend which have since appeared on the internet. People are so silly, fancy giving anyone such a thing. Maybe once you are married (not that everyone marries these days) but to give them to a boyfriend, not a good idea. Even a spouse could betray you I suppose but they are less likely to.  People are always going on about private stuff getting on the internet, if you want to keep it private, don’t put it on the internet. No matter what, it will find its way into the public domain one way or another. Nothing on the internet is really private and nothing is really secure either. There are thousands of hackers out there who hack into stuff just because they can.

This recipe I found on Food and Wine and thought it sounded like one we would enjoy. I have never heard of Cerignola olives, will have to check them out.

Braised Pork Shoulder with Fennel and Olives

Contributed by Melissa Rubel JacobsonBraised Pork Shoulder

Serves 8

  1. 2 tablespoons canola oil
  2. Two 2-pound pieces of boneless pork shoulder
  3. Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  4. 2 fennel bulbs, cut into 1/2-inch wedges, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
  5. 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
  6. 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
  7. 1 carrot, thinly sliced
  8. 4 garlic cloves, smashed
  9. 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  10. 3/4 cup dry white wine
  11. 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  12. 2 thyme sprigs
  13. 1 bay leaf
  14. 2 cups green olives, preferably Cerignola
  1. Preheat the oven to 300°. In a large cast-iron casserole, heat the canola oil. Season the pork generously with salt and pepper, add it to the casserole and cook over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer the pork to a plate.
  2. Add the fennel wedges, onion, celery, carrot and garlic to the casserole and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the chicken broth, thyme and bay leaf. Return the pork to the casserole and add any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil. Cover and braise in the oven for 1 hour. Remove the lid and cook the pork for 2 hours longer, adding the olives after the first hour. The pork should be very tender.
  3. Transfer the pork to a carving board. Cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Using a large spoon, skim the fat from the surface of the sauce. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Slice the pork and transfer to shallow bowls. Spoon the sauce and vegetables over the pork, sprinkle with the fennel fronds and serve.

Make Ahead The recipe can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently and garnish with the fennel before serving.Serve with Polenta.

Have a great weekend

Jo_thumb[2]

4 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on the Internet privacy thing- If you don't want it up there, don't put it out there. But then I come from a family of techno geeks who know exactly how easy things are to hack... so I guess that was a good early warning for me!!
    Happy weekend
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Laura. Lucky you, I could use a family of techno geeks.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand why people would share photos like that with anyone. That is just asking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete