Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Disasters, In Her Name, Meeting Friends.

I don’t know what it is but every time I look at the news headlines swiss-train-crashlately there is another crash, like a head on train crash in Switzerland, a bus plunging 100 ft. in Italy, you know, you see the headlines the same as me. Makes me wonder what’s happening, have people suddenly developed death wishes or become more careless or what? Just remembered the boat with the bride and best man getting lost overboard because the driver of the boat was drunk. Mind you, if he was, maybe the others were too. Seems to be all death and disasters lately.

I have now started book 3 in my trilogy called In Her Nadead-soulme – The Dead Soul by Michael R. Hicks. The pace and excitement of the books has definitely been maintained and I am as interested in the aliens and their lives as I am in the humans. What I don’t understand is why the aliens haven’t tried to learn any human languages – humans don’t get the chance to learn the language of the aliens, if they meet them they have to fight them and are likely to die one way or another, but you’d think at least one alien would hold their sword for a bit in order to learn the language. Of course, I’m thinking like a human. Referring to Andrew Leon’s post, yesterday, I wouldn’t want these aliens in my head if I were writing this book.

I am really looking forward to my vacation and I have an extra reason now, both L. Diane Wolfe and Jeff Hargett live in North Carolina and we are planning to get together whilst Matt and I are down there. That will be absolutely great. Some years ago I managed to meet a whole bunch of English women with whom I had been corresponding on our cookery club. It is absolutely fantastic to meet people who have become close friends on line and get to know them face to face. Last year I met a friend from South Africa and I know a couple of people in my local area whom I met through the internet. With the internet, the world becomes very small.

I have mentioned before that our source for liquor and wines, LCBO, puts out a magazine called Food and Drink about 3 or 4 times a year, it usually includes some excellent recipes, so I thought I would share a few of them. Those tiger shrimp in the picture really are extra large, look more like lobsters. We don’t see them much round here, I might just use the shrimp I bring up from the Carolinas, next time we have any that is. Run out til September.


Grilled Thai Shrimp and Mango

Summer 2002
By: Heather Trim


If you're not familiar with some of these ingredients, look for them in the Asian section of the supermarket. Lemongrass can be found in the produce section or in greengrocers. Jalapeño or serrano chilies work well in this dish. If serving as an appetizer use extra-large peeled shrimp.

Thai Shrimp and Mango
4 to 6 shell-on tiger shrimp, about 1 lb (500 g)
3 large limes
1 stalk lemongrass
1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped coriander
1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) each finely minced hot chili pepper and ginger
1 tbsp (15 mL) peanut or vegetable oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) fish sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 ripe but firm mango
2 tbsp (25 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
  1. Make a lengthwise cut down the back of shrimp shells and remove vein. To allow the marinade to penetrate and cook shrimp more evenly, after removing the vein make the cut a little deeper. Cut 1 lime into wedges. Set aside. From remaining 2 limes, finely grate 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime peel and squeeze out 1/4 cup (50 mL) juice. Place juice and peel in a medium bowl. Remove outer husks from lemon grass and finely chop bulb only. You should have about 3 tbsp (45 mL). Add to lime along with coriander, chili, ginger, oil, fish sauce and sugar. Stir to combine. Add shrimp and push marinade under shell next to shrimp. Marinate, covered and refrigerated for about 1 hour. Meanwhile, peel mango (if you wish) then thinly slice into wedges.
  2. Grease grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Thread shrimp, randomly alternating with mango onto skewers. Sprinkle exposed part of shrimp lightly with salt. Place on grill and barbecue until shrimp meat is white and grill marks appear, about 3 minutes a side. If you choose not to skewer shrimp and place directly on the grill, add mango after 4 minutes of barbecuing.
  3. Serve shrimp on a bed of rice, scatter with mango slices and reserved lime wedges. Sprinkle with mint.
Serves 2 as a main course

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. That will be cool to meet up with Jeff and Diane.
    Careless or on something - or both - is the cause of many accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly will be

    True, it's certain the guy driving the boat was drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I read that the driver of the train was on the phone. Most accidents are human error, I understand. Have a wonderful trip to South Carolina, I hear it is beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read that too. Here they have banned driving and talking on the phone, maybe they should include driving trains too.

      Actually it's North Carolina, but it is beautiful from the mountains to the sea. We lived at the coast for 12 years.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an awesome vacation. My hubby is getting a week off in August and asked me. "Do you want to go away on a trip, or have me kill myself working in the back yard?" I laughed and said well, when you put it that why - how am I supposed to answer! :)

    I think I know what he wants to do - or doesn't want to do!!

    Enjoy your vacation, meeting folks you've met here online, truly exciting! Take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a trip Yolanda, time is short, enjoy yourselves.

      Yes, it should be great fun meeting Jeff and Diane.

      Delete
  5. And I am looking forward to meeting you! That will be quite the busy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, it depends on what Jeff wants to do now, we were going bowling, but he may have changed his mind.

      Delete
    2. I'm still up for bowling, if you are, Jo. The exercise will do me good and Myra would not want me to change our planned "itinerary" just because she won't be there. I can't promise an absence of tears, but I do promise to enjoy the meeting for us both.

      Delete
    3. That's great Jeff. It will be so wonderful to see you. I will let Diane know - I don't know if she wants to bowl or not.

      Delete