Thursday, July 25, 2013

George, Banquet, Tigers, Goering.

George Alexander Louis eh? I guess Louis (pronounce Lew ee) from Georgehis great, great (I think) uncle, Louis Mountbatten. Might be another great in there. Certainly the Duke of Edinburgh’s Uncle. He will be George VII. Not sure where Alexander came from unless they too know the Ninja Captain or Father Dragon. I am sorry they chose George, not my favourite, but I guess they didn’t care what I thought. The Queen’s dad was George VI of course. Matt’s immediate reaction GAL (his initials) I wonder if his contemporaries at school will call him that?

At our Bowling Banquet I won for high single (206) and Matt won for high triple (576). We played Bingo and our team won although we didn’t finish the card. So far I have about 27 people for the winter league.

I don’t normally watch a lot of TV, but I did last night. We watched TigerPublic Television, the first was Nature, Siberian Tiger Quest. Looking for tigers in the vast but sparse forest of Northern Russia. The story was about a naturalist, Sooyong Park, who left his family in Korea to spend months and months over a period of five years living in the area on his own in order to film and get to know Siberian Tigers. They too are very much hunted by poachers who sell the animals for thousands of dollars. The poachers build rifle traps – the tigers are wary of humans and keep well away, but of course  rifle traps have no humans near them. This picture is of a Siberian tiger bred in captivity, but the programme showed a lot of wild tigers filmed by Park. Fascinating film, not just of tigers but lots of other critters which live in the area.

The second programme was a Nova presentation about the Nuremburg trial specifically of Hermann Goering. His attitude was incredible and he actually denied any knowledge of what was Goering on trialhappening to the Jews in the concentration camps. Looked to me as though he was cleverly confounding the US prosecutor but I was proud to see that the British guy got him where it hurt. The words used by all the actors were the words actually used by the people at the time. It was an absolutely enthralling presentation although I was staggered that he eventually committed suicide. They said that no-one knew how he got hold of a cyanide ampoule, but surely in those days they had cyanide built into their teeth, or some of them did anyway. He really was a cocky bastard during the early part of his trial and his intention was to reanimate Naziism in Germany. He was fanatically loyal to Hitler right to the bitter end.

This sounds absolutely gorgeous and so refreshing. It’s from the South Beach Diet email.

Mango Lassi

This recipe makes 4 servings
A frothy and refreshing yogurt drink, lassi hails from India, where it is often made with fruits such as mango. A pinch of the ground spicemango-lassi cardamom adds a uniquely sweet and pungent flavour.
Ingredients
1 medium mango(es) peeled and roughly chopped
1 1/2 cup(s) yogurt, fat-free, Greek-style, plain
1 tablespoon sugar substitute
1 pinch cardamom, ground (optional)
Instructions
  • In a blender, combine mango, yogurt, 1/2 cup chilled water, sugar substitute, and cardamom, if using; purée until smooth. Fill 4 (8-ounce) glasses with ice cubes. Pour Mango Lassi over ice and serve.
    One serving is 3/4 cup
Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. Whats the bet that Kate and Will did NOT name their son?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they might have chosen from a list of approved names.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo .. I wasn't that enamoured with George either .. but c'est la vie ...

    They certainly a happy threesome and that's great news ...

    I've been eating a lot of mango recently and thinking about it I have raspberries waiting for me! Breakfast (late) calls!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George certainly wouldn't have been my choice. They do look happy don't they?

      Oh, I could use some raspberries this morning.

      Delete
  3. We watched, or I should say hubby watched, I mostly listened to the same shows last night. At least if they weren't the same something was off, cause it was about tigers and the Nazi's and on PBS, but I was doing other things too.

    Congrats on the win at bowling, that's impressive!
    As for the name not a George fan either - but not many of those Kingly names do impress - don't have too when you've the power and the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have watched the shows Yolanda, really good.

      Thanks for the congrats.

      They don't really have a lot of power any more.

      Delete
  4. I am guessing that Alexander comes from Prince Philip's Greek heritage? We tend to forget that he also came from a royal family and is not just some 'schmuck' walking behind the Queen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says in the news that George VI had Alexander in his names and someone pointed out that the queen has Alexandra in her names. I guess George is pretty traditional in the current royal family.

      Delete
  5. Everyone knows the Ninja and the Dragon!
    The tiger special would've been cool but it would have depressed me because I'm sure they talked about how few still live in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turns out it was a family name after all.

      The special was cool but, as you say, there were some depressing scenes especially of the animals caught in the rifle traps.

      Delete