Friday, December 20, 2013

Windows, Bowling, Kir Royale, Book.

glass bush shelterIn all my years of living in Canada, today I saw something I had never seen before. A guy cleaning a glass bus shelter with a squeegee. Never occurred to me that someone would go round cleaning the glass, bit dumb of me ‘cos I guess it gets very dirty, especially in the winter, but never having seen it, it never occurred to me. I guess it would be too expensive to replace them with self cleaning glass like we have in most of our windows in the apartment now. Mind you our windows don’t get mud splashed or anything.

I really had a good game on Thursday, My last game was 224 so I Bowling Pin Placement 5was delighted, I also bowled a turkey for the first time in I don’t know how long. (3 strikes in a row if you are not familiar with the game). Matt’s first game was lousy but the two after were also excellent – he beat me in the second game and I beat him by 4 points in the third game. The other two who bowl with us didn’t do well at all today, don’t know why, they are both usually good bowlers. Just they way the cookie crumbles I guess. We will be bowling as a foursome on Monday and that will be it until the following Monday.

Had to pop in at the grocery store – it was very crowded, then went Kir Royaleto the liquor store and that was worse. Must be some important holiday coming up I guess!!! They are forecasting a lousy weekend weatherwise too so people are probably trying to avoid shopping then. I was wondering just how much money the liquor store takes at this season. A packet I would imagine. Matt technically bought me a bottle of Cassis for Christmas to make Kir Royales (with champers). We buy splits for me, Matt not being that keen on champagne. Officially they aren’t champagne as they were not produced in the Champagne region of France. Bubbly wine.

By the way, the book I won this time was Cupid’s Christmas by Bette Lee Crosby. I will look forward to reading it.

No Saturday blog again this week. Not sure how many blogs I will post during Christmas week either. Slurping Kir Royales I may not be up to it, LOL.

Here’s an interesting recipe from BBC Food. Maybe after Christmas. I love oriental noodle dishes.

Malaysian-spiced noodles with tofu


Malaysian-spiced noodles with tofu
Aromatic, rich and spicy - proof, if you ever needed it, that vegetarian food is anything but bland.

Ingredients

For the spice paste
For the sauce
For the noodles
  • vegetable oil, for deep-frying, plus 1 tbsp for frying
  • 150g/5oz fresh tofu, cut to 2.5cm/1in squares, dried on kitchen paper
  • 20 oyster mushrooms, finely sliced
  • 8 sugar snap peas or mange tout, blanched, cut in half lengthways
  • 400g/14oz ready-made udon noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
To serve

Preparation method

  1. For the spice paste, place all of the spice paste ingredients, except the vegetable oil, into a food processor and blend to a pulp.
  2. With the motor still running, gradually add the oil and continue to blend until you get a loose paste (you may not need to use all the oil).
  3. For the sauce, place a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the spice paste and fry gently for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a further five minutes.
  5. For the noodles, half-fill a deep, heavy-based pan with vegetable oil and heat until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped into it. (CAUTION: hot oil can be dangerous. Do not leave unattended.)
  6. Add the tofu cubes and deep-fry for 2-3 minutes, until crisp and golden-brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain onto kitchen paper.
  7. Heat the remaining one tablespoon of oil in a clean frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oyster mushrooms and fry for three minutes, or until softened.
  8. Add the mushrooms to the sauce.
  9. Add the sugar snap peas (or mange tout), deep-fried tofu and udon noodles to the sauce and stir well to combine.
  10. To serve, spoon to the curry into serving bowls and garnish each with fresh coriander leaves, lime wedges and crushed peanuts, to taste.
Have a great day
Jo

8 comments:

  1. I need to make that dish.

    We only drink "bubbly wine" on New Year's Eve and then promptly fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought it might suit you Diane.

      I drink bubbly on NYE too. In fact I drink bubbly whenever there is a celebration and you would be surprised how many things there are to celebrate. Not only that, it is a delightful pre lunch drink for a Sunday.

      Delete
  2. After several Kir Royales, who know what you may post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Alex. They are not quite as strong as the cocktail we used to make for Christmas morning, sugar, orange peel, angostura and brandy topped up with champagne. That was a pretty lethal combination. Good though.

      Delete
  3. Another great thing about living on the Kent coast - our proximity to France and its wonderful bubblies (champagne and others)!! Enjoy your Kir Royales. We'll be raising a glass or two also over the holidays.
    That recipe sounds fabulous ... another one on the list of 'to try' recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Something I miss. We get French champagnes here but they aren't cheap. I can't remember where my splits come from, not this side of the pond though. Have one for me when you are enjoying yours, I will probably be not long out of bed LOL.

      Does sound good doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. We drink the fake stuff - still fun!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you Yolanda. It's not actually fake your realise, just not made in the Champagne region of France. I once had the pleasure of seeing it bottled in Canad, fascinating.

      Delete