Friday, May 16, 2014

Il Volo, Bowling.

Il VoloI am late writing my blog tonight because we have been watching Il Volo, which is a favourite group of ours. Three young Italian men who won a talent contest in Italy a couple of years ago, or so, as individuals and then combined to make a wonderful group. The singers are tenors Piero Barone and Ignazio Boschetto, and baritone Gianluca Ginoble. They have made two concerts for PBS and are on a North American tour which includes a concert in Buffalo on June 11 and another one in Toronto on June 24. Sadly, there is no way we can afford the tickets for really good seats so we have to be content with TV, DVDs and CDs. This is the kind of music we both enjoy, they sing classical Italian songs as well as not so classical, in fact they sang “Can’t You Feel the Love Tonight” by Elton John from The Lion King.  I prefer them to stick to Italian as I can’t understand most of what they sing in English anyway. They also sing in Spanish some of which I recognised after my recent efforts to brush up on the language. Here is Granada for Father Dragon


The do sing more classical stuff and more popular songs as well. I hope you enjoy this rendition of a well known song.

Thursday afternoon we went bowling, had a fun time, just the two of us, bowled one good game each and one really lousy game each. We also helped choose the new carpet they will be installing in August. They are spending quite a bit of money. There are alleys both down and upstairs. Also, in August, the alleys have to be ground and polished (I think that’s what happens). They are also installing new sinks and vanities, particularly in the ladies upstairs where apparently somebody dropped a balling bowl in the sink and cracked it. They aren’t that heavy, but heavy enough to do that I gather.

For those of you who are already sick of my asparagus recipes, here is a change of pace for you. However, asparagus will be featured again very soon.

Orzo Salad with Chickpeas and Artichoke Hearts

Source: © EatingWell Magazine

2 servings

Rec Image

Quintessential Greek flavors—feta, lemon and dill—combine perfectly in this hearty salad. To complete the Mediterranean mood, try pairing it with a Greek Retsina or a Portuguese Vinho Verde.

Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the salad—without the tomatoes and spinach—cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Add the tomatoes just before serving and serve over the spinach.

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup orzo or other tiny pasta
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 7-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 large tomato, chopped
2 cups baby spinach leaves

DIRECTIONS
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Cook orzo until just tender, about 9 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Press to remove excess water. Transfer to a medium bowl and toss with oil.
Mash garlic and salt into a paste with the back of a spoon in a medium bowl. Whisk in lemon juice and pepper. Add the cooked orzo, artichokes, chickpeas, feta, dill and mint; toss gently to combine. Add tomatoes and toss again.
Divide spinach between 2 plates and top with the salad.

Have a great day

  • Jo (2)




















10 comments:

  1. Hi Jo, its been a while hope your well, I thought these three young men sang beautifully, loved it, and would definitely go and see them, perhaps they will tour the UK! the dish looks delicious, with the summer coming it looks like the perfect dish for sharing, have a blessed weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, you are right, long time no see. Hope all well with your mother. I am sure they have toured the UK and will again. They seem to be popular worldwide. We have been fans of theirs since they first appeared on the scene. Have a wonderful weekend yourself.

      Delete
  2. HI, Jo,

    I am BOWLED OVER... Il Volo is AMAZING... I am speechless. Their voices are so cultivated and mature for such young guys. STUNNING... No wonder you love them so much. It was spine tingling....

    I will definitely have to get their CD...
    Thanks so much for introducing them to us!

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them, they have a couple of CDs I think and a Christmas one.

      Delete
  3. Why would anyone need to bring a bowling ball to the bathroom?!

    I love making orzo salads too....I like artichoke hearts but the ones I get in the jars just don't taste as good to me as fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that JoJo. I cannot imagine why.

      You are right, the jars don't taste as good, but I wouldn't want the pain of extracting the hearts from fresh artichokes, I would be too busy easting them anyway.

      Delete
  4. They have beautiful voices. And the recipe sounds yummy. But I'd have to delete the chick peas.

    Hugs and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to come until now, Grandmother Dragon. I've been a bit busy. But hey! the group is fantastic. How did you know I liked that song? Excellent choice. I am sure we will be holding conversations in Spanish very soon. :) Abrazos, querida abuela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just figured you would like it. Been a tax lax on my lessons lately, life suddenly got in the way. However, learnt a new word today, abrazos.

      Abrazos, querido tieto

      Delete
    2. Obviously that should say a tad lax on my lessons.

      Delete