Friday, August 8, 2014

Bowling, Lunch.

Well, after a 2 week hiatus we are back bowling again. The place is looking pretty good and the carpet, chosen by a few of us, looks very Bowling alleynice. They have done a good job all round although it isn’t totally finished as yet. A few things achieved overnight between Wednesday and Thursday. The alleys have all been re-dressed although the approaches are a tad slippery. We didn’t bowl the full three games on Thursday as it got really noisy with some handicapped people – one of whom nearly knocked me off my chair crashing his walker into me. He never said a word, not sure he even realised. Not only that, I wasn’t feeling all that good either so we gave it up as a bad job.

Today we are going to a friend’s for lunch. She is the one who owns the puppy Zoey so I will try and take pix but you know I am not the world’s best cameraman. I don’t know whether to rely on my tablet or take my camera.

Still not feeling up to much so I will quit for now.

This one sounds good. I like cold soups in the summer and I love cucumber. I have no idea what a Persian cucumber is though. Well I found it. I particularly like the idea of adding shrimp to it.

Tangy Cucumber Soup


Contributed by Justin Chapple
SERVINGS: 4

To turn this tangy and refreshing yogurt-based soup into a terrific light meal, simply Tangy Cucumber Soupadd poached shrimp.
 
  1. 2 pounds Persian or English cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded and chopped
  2. 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
  3. 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  4. 2 small garlic cloves
  5. 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
  6. 1 tablespoon chopped dill, plus sprigs for garnish
  7. Kosher salt
  8. Pepper
  1. In a blender, puree the cucumbers, yogurt, lemon juice and garlic. With the machine on, gradually add the 1/2 cup of oil until incorporated. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the chopped dill and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and dill sprigs.
Make Ahead The soup can be refrigerated overnight. Notes The soup can also be served as a sauce for grilled meats or used as a salad dressing.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

12 comments:

  1. I haven't been bowling in years - wonder could I persuade the hubby to have a go - sounds fun - although I remember the noise from the last time.
    I might give this soup a go - there's lots of cucumber around at the minute.
    Feel better soon. Fil x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it, of course we do 5 pin which is only played in Canada. We prefer it though.

      Yes, gotta get some cuke.


      Thanks Fil.

      Delete
  2. Take both your tablet and your camera, just in case. Glad the bowling alley is open again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Alex, I am doing just that.

      Delete
  3. My torn rotator cuff and bad elbow keep me from bowling, even though I can walk to the alley in town. It used to be duck pin which used smaller balls but now I think it's 10 or king pin and I can't use those large heavy balls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the 10 pin balls are very heavy. I used an 8 lb. last time I bowled. In 5 pin the balls are around 3 lbs give or take.

      Delete
  4. I have a ball specially drilled for me which is an 8lb one. I have no control over the heavy ones with my arthritic fingers. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much control over 10 pin balls anyway. One of the reasons I prefer 5 pin with smaller balls.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you're not feeling the best but it's nice to have you back. I missed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't bowled in years. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am talking 5 pin bowling. Assume you have done 10 pin.

      Delete