Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Pete's Dragon

I loved it. I laughed and I cried and was delighted with the ending. The dragon is not the usual animal with reptilian skin, this one is furry which makes him easier to hang on to when you are flying with him. He's pretty good at breathing fire
too but is generally pretty soft.My friend enjoyed the movie very much too. The picture on the right is Pete being hugged by the dragon. Just before they part company. Cue for tears. If you are a big ol' softie like me, you will enjoy the movie. A little girl in the theatre obviously wasn't too thrilled as she kept talking the whole time plus making 2 bathroom visits. I am definitely planning on owning a copy in the future. I would certainly like to see it again. Oh, and it wasn't in 3D. I don't know where I got that idea from, but I asked one of the staff and she said it wasn't listed as being shown in 3D this week. Pity. I have always regretted I didn't see Avatar in 3D. One thing, the guy who shot Elliot was so very familiar but I couldn't place him. When I got home I looked it up and it was Karl Urban who is very familiar to me from Almost Human which was a TV show recommended to me by Alex J Cavenaugh. Handsome feller even if he was the baddie in this movie.

Having posted a more mundane egg recipe yesterday, I thought I would post an exotic one today.

Baked Eggs with Mushroom Sauce

2 Tbs butter
4 eggs
8 oz sliced mixed mushrooms, including shiitake and oyster
4 packed cups baby spinach
3/4 cup whipping cream
salt and freshly ground pepper
4 drops truffle oil or to taste

1. Preheat oven to 300°F.

2. Butter four 1-cup ramekins or glass dishes. Break an egg into each one and top each egg with a tiny knob of butter

3. Place ramekins into a baking dish and fill dish with boiling water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Place in oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until egg whites are opaque and yolk is just set but still runny. It will continue to cook once the sauce is spooned over it. Remove ramekins from water bath.

4. While the eggs are cooking, heat the remaining butter in a skillet over high heat and add mushrooms. Sauté for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are just cooked. Add spinach and cook 1 minute longer or until spinach wilts. Add cream and bring to boil and boil for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper and add truffle oil.

5. Divide sauce between ramekins and spoon over eggs. Serve at once with some crusty bread to sop up the sauce.

Servings: 4

Source: Food and Drink

Author Notes
I had this dish in Paris at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, one of the best restaurants in Paris. L'Atelier has since become a mini chain with outposts in London, New York, Las Vegas, Hong Kong, Tokyo and soon Tel Aviv. Robuchon served this appetizer in a Martini glass but he cooked it sous vide which is not available to home cooks. We used ramekins. Be sure to measure the size of your ramekins. You will need a 1 cup capacity to hold both the egg and the sauce. Timing is important here. You can make the sauce well ahead and bring back to a boil just before pouring over the hot eggs. This will cook the yolk slightly more. When you eat it, the egg breaks and mixes with the rich sauce. Serve as a luxurious first course.


Have a great day
 

16 comments:

  1. I stopped going to theatres to see movies because of the talking grown-ups and antsy kids. Now, I just wait at home until it is available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't bad enough to stop me Denise. Apart from which, I thought I was going to see 3D which you can't see at home.

      Delete
    2. I can take it or leave it when it comes to 3D.

      Delete
    3. I've only seen it once Denise, the modern 3D that is, and I don't even remember what movie it was, but I remember thoroughly enjoying it.

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, Karl Urban, who's also in the new Star Trek and was in the LOTR trilogy.
    Sorry you didn't see Avatar in 3D. It was groundbreaking. We're fortunate to have a 3D television set, so we own the 3D copy. Want to come over and watch it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes please Alex.

      I have the LOTR Trilogy but I don't remember him. I only knew him from the TV series.

      Delete
  3. Hi Jo - so glad you enjoyed yourself ... I know theatres/cinemas can be really annoying. Good thought from Alex - but you're still sleeping and no doubt you'll answer him anon!!!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I'm not sleeping Hilary. It's 8:30 a.m. here. I do wish I could go to Alex's to see the movie. I didn't even know you could get a 3D TV. Hmmmm, wonder how much they are, it's my birthday soon.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great movie and a good review you did of it :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this sounds like such a sweet movie and I would like to see it as long as the dragon doesn't die. That kid needed a talking to by the parents but that is why she is as she is....because of the parents. Karl Urban plays Bones in the new Star trek films. He was in Xena Princess warrior believe it or not and he was the CIA operative in the first movie Red with Bruce Willis (A fun movie). I don't know who he played in LOTR either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great movie and if I tell you anything more it will be a spoiler. Yes, I know it's the parent's fault. I didn't really know Karl Urban except for the TV show. Great shame they took that show off, it was great.

      Delete
  6. That's why I rarely go to the movies. I just cannot stand people who are loud, allow their kids to be loud, sit right in front of me when the place is empty. And the sound of everyone eating bums me out too. I'll probably wait for pay per view. I do want to see the new Peculiar Children movie though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't that bad JoJo and there was hardly anyone in the theatre. I didn't realise Peculiar Children had been made before, it looked interesting from the trailer as did Kubo which Alex recommended.

      Delete
  7. Eggs and mushrooms. So flippin' good together. Yum.

    ReplyDelete