Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Guest Post, Bowling, Cholesterol,

Once again I am delighted to say I am doing  a guest post on The Really Real Housewives of America although as I mentioned to them once, maybe it should be North America. Today is recipe day, one actual recipe and one "what I do to make:" recipe. The chicken recipe we actually ate last night and I made some cole slaw to go with it.  Actually this slaw recipe is one I picked up from a friend quite a few years ago and haven't made for a while. Been cheating by buying bagged slaw. Not as good as making it yourself.

Tuesday we went bowling, the alley is now back on winter time. All the leagues are starting this week with the exception of the Seniors' Winter League which starts next Monday, yesterday being Labour Day of course. However, it does mean this week we can have at least one day interval between games. I am delighted to say I was bowling quite well. Beat Matt in two games and he creamed me in the third. We are both looking forward to the beginning of our winter league.

This morning, Wednesday, I have blood work. I have been 3 months without a cholesterol pill. They give me such cramps. As my doc has decided I really don't have diabetes (hmm!) after all, I said in that case can I stop the pill. I had to be off it for a while for them to find out if that's a good or bad thing. If you have diabetes they want your cholesterol to be as low as possible. I won't know the results for a week unfortunately.

This is a very simple recipe but one that we have always enjoyed when I am not too lazy to make it.

Selma's Cole Slaw


1 head cabbage, hand shredded
2 sticks celery, shredded
1 cucumber, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded, chopped
1 med carrots, grated
1 large onion, or more, chopped
2 Tbs Mayonnaise
1 Tbs Vinegar
salt and pepper

1. Prepare vegetables in a large bowl. Mix mayonnaise, vinegar and seasonings. Toss vegetables in dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning to preference.


Have a great day
 

24 comments:

  1. My doc switched me to a different cholesterol pill and I have had no issues. Been several years now. I have no other health issues. Was your cholesterol high to begin with? Seeing as you are not a diabetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been tried on several different pills Denise, statins and non statins, they all gave me cramp. I am told it was high for a diabetic but not for anyone else.

      Delete
    2. Except you are not a diabetic. I could write a book on all the stuff I've seen over the years. BTW, my boss in my Chem lab was a guy who invented one of the first ways to measure cholesterol - Zak's method.

      Delete
    3. I am not 100% sure of that Denise. I have been treated as a diabetic since 2004 with pills and regular check ups. Then I lost weight and a different doc is telling me I am not diabetic. Not totally convinced yet. Interesting - didn't know you worked in a Chem lab. Famous boss eh?

      Delete
  2. I like the recipe for the cole slaw. Hope that the blood results come bavk favorably.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jo,

    Hope everything works out!

    Glad you and Matt will be back to bowling in you leagues soon. I know how much you enjoy it.

    Love good cole slaw. This recipe looks great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I Michael. We bowl on our own when there isn't a league, but a league is so much more fun. I love this coleslaw, don't know where my friend got the recipe in the first place, but I am glad she shared it with me. It isn't over dressed which I like. So many are.

      Delete
  4. That's awesome you don't have to take the pill anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy good slaw. Yum.

    Happy Winter bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Ivy. Can you eat mayonnaise though?

      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I can make my own. Though at times I will use jarred (depending on ingredients). I could go for some of that right now. Yum.

      Delete
    3. I always made my own until I discovered Hellman's which to me is just as good Ivy.

      Delete
    4. Understandable. And quicker too, just open lid.

      Tonight I was able to enjoy a Sunday roasted bird. Our first one in MONTHS. So yummy.

      Delete
    5. I'm so glad to hear that Ivy. Hope you can continue to do so.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a lovely coleslaw for our hot weather days.
    I hope you get your diabetes/cholesterol sorted. Many cholesterol tablets have bad side effects which can't be reversed, so be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Denise, always been a favourite although I haven't made it in a while. I will know about the cholesterol next week. I have felt fine without the pills for 3 months.

      Delete
  7. I like the bagged 'slaw but I make my own dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the bagged slaw sometimes as I said JoJo, but I much prefer it when I have made my own as above.

      Delete
  8. How did the dr suddenly say you don't have diabetes?? I hope this is true and that you find some natural way to regulate things without those bad pills you had to take. You must be happy about the bowling starting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different doctor Birgit but the two docs used to be partners. I too hope I can stop these pills. Very happy.

      Delete
  9. You two are admirable with the way you're so active. Good on you. Good luck with the blood tests. Why do all medications seem to have side effects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pinky, we enjoy bowling though. I dunno why they do, but statins certainly give me cramp.

      Delete