Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Olympic Skating,

I know I posted this blog last  night, but it seems I am wrong LOL

A friend posted this on Facebook to commemorate Valentine's Day 1984Olympic . It was one of the most beautiful skating performances I have ever seen. The English couple, Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean skating to Bolero. Enjoy



I love meringue and did actually make a large Pavlova many years ago. This one appeared in the Liquor Board's magazine, Food and Drink, so I just had to share it with you.

Grand Passion Fruit Pavlova

Fragrant and delicate, this pavlova has a crunchy yet tender exterior and a soft marshmallow-like
interior

MERINGUE
4 large egg whites, not from a carton, at room temperature
½ tsp (2 mL) cream of tartar
¾ cup (175 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
1 tsp (5 mL) white vinegar

CREAM and FRUIT
1 cup (250 mL) whipping cream
2 Tbs (30 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest
1 Tbs (15 mL) lemon juice
2 ripe passion fruit (visibly wrinkled)

1. Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C). Trace an 8-inch (20-cm) circle onto parchment paper using a magic marker, and line a baking tray with the parchment paper, with the marked-side down (so the ink won’t transfer to the meringue as it bakes).

2. Whip egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy, then slowly pour in sugar while whipping; continue whipping on high speed until the whites hold a stiff peak when the beaters are lifted (whites will be thick and glossy). Fold in cornstarch and vinegar. Spoon whites onto the parchment paper and spread it to fit the circle, using a spatula to create pretty swirls.

3. Bake meringue for 75 to 90 minutes until exterior is dry (humidity impacts cook time), cracking the oven door if meringue starts to show signs of browning. Once out of oven and cooled, meringue should feel dry on the outside and peel away from the parchment easily. If still a little soft, return to 250°F (120°C) oven for another 10 to 20 minutes. Cool meringue on tray before removing.

4. Whip cream to a soft peak and beat in the sugar, lemon zest and juice. Chill.

5. Assemble the pavlova immediately before serving. Place the meringue onto a platter and top with the whipped cream. Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out the fruit and seeds and spoon this over the cream. Slice and serve as you would a cake.

Servings: 8

Author: Anna Olson
Source: Food and Drink


Have a great day
 

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed those Olympics. Katarina Witt was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember her too, to me Torvill and Dean really stood out and not just because they were British.

      Delete
  2. Torvill & Dean were amazing!! They changed the way ice dance would be forever after. I loved their performance and still recall how my mom, my dad and i were enthralled by this performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too Birgit. I loved watching this again. I have always enjoyed watching ice skating. When we first came to Canada I tried to learn, but too old and too much of a scaredy cat. Matt could do it but he had roller skated. My parents met on an ice rink!!!

      Delete
    2. That's cool! I love how and where people first met

      Delete
    3. Well Matt and I met in a pool - he was teaching scuba and I wanted to learn.

      Delete