Thursday, February 15, 2018

Bowling, More Shopping, Mandarin, Books,

So now I'm annoyed. My husband, who was told not to bowl, bowled again today and didn't just win the second game, he thrashed me. Really not fair at all. I had a really active day, wasn't feeling that great at lunchtime but decided to go to exercise class anyway. Glad I did, felt better after. Then we went bowling and after did some shopping, I had forgotten tomatoes yesterday plus we had to visit the liquor store. Mind you I was pretty beat by the time we got home although at least I had Matt to help me carry stuff.

Right now I am well enough, just feel as if I haven't slept in a week.

Tomorrow we are taking up the rain cheque (check if you like) and going to Mandarin to have Matt's birthday lunch. Dumplings are still on the menu until March 4. Then I need to drop into Costco for a couple of things. As we will probably go bowling again I checked they would have room in the fridge for the meat I am going to buy. It is supposed to be relatively warm tomorrow (today now) so don't want to leave it in the car.

Been enjoying David Baldacci books lately. Found some in the party room where we exercise and got one from the library as well. They are pretty complicated stories, but enjoyable reads. I started with Stone Cold and then read the prior book The Camel Club. Now onto Memory Man. A very different story really. Recommend them.

This recipe looks really good in the picture. Easy enough to do certainly.

San Francisco Pork Chops

Tender chops in a delicious sauce are great over noodles or thin spaghetti

1 Tbs vegetable oil
4 (3/4 inch-thick) boneless pork chops, trimmed
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup beef broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbs water

1. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Brown chops in hot oil, about 5 minutes per side; remove pork to a plate, reserving oil in skillet.

2. Cook and stir garlic in reserved drippings until fragrant, about 1 minute. Whisk beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, and red pepper flakes in a bowl, dissolving brown sugar. Return pork chops to skillet and pour soy sauce mixture over the chops. Bring sauce to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to low. Simmer chops until tender, 30 to 35 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.

3. Transfer chops to a serving platter. Whisk cornstarch and water in a small bowl until smooth; stir into pan juices and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce over chops to serve.

Servings: 4

Tips
Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.

Source
Author: bintmejnuna
AllRecipes

Author Notes
I like it with a bit more red pepper than stated in the recipe. It gives it more zing. Also, I often leave the extra oil out of the sauce as the residual in the pan is usually enough. This works great with thinner chops as well, just reduce the simmering time or you'll get tough chops.

Have a great day
 

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are feeling better. I love Baldacci and somehow found him way back when so I have read all of his books in order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am Denise, thanks. I have only found 2 Camel Club books, are there more?

      Delete
    2. There are five: http://davidbaldacci.com/books/camel-club/

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I will check this out.

      Delete
  2. Sorry he bested you.
    You guys are always out running errands or going somewhere. If I didn't have to go to work, I'd never leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. If you had been retired as long as we have Alex, you would be climbing the walls if you never went out doing something.

      Delete
  3. The pork chop recipe looks awesome! Sorry Matt beat you at bowling! lol That must've been frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY frustrating JoJo. However, it now means we can go to Mandarin for his birthday lunch. If he can walk in the bowling alley he can walk in a buffet!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - glad you're feeling better ... ah well the cumuppance of the husband ... such is life! Good luck today ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. I guess cumuppance is what I got, but he did it again today!! Thanks again

      Delete
  5. That would burn my britches too if my hubby won on a bum leg...and I could easily see that happen. Glad you could enjoy the mandarin and i hate it when I forget something and have to go back to the grocery store

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did it again today Birgit. I nearly left him at the alley LOL. Yes, going back is a pain isn't it?

      Delete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday, to Matt.

    You guys are funny together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. We are? I never did go to Costco.

      Delete